Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blog Post # 13


Engage in an E-Media fast
For this assignment, I wound up doing without 4 things on the list. Our TV, my cell phone, my radio, and our computer. Doing without our TV was not difficult for me personally because I don't watch much TV to begin with. However, my daughter found it difficult. Apparently, while she is watching TV, I am right there beside her quite often. She asked me, more than once, to come and watch it with her. she didn't understand why I could not watch it, even after I explained it to her. She said this homework assignment does not make sense because everyone watches TV.

While I did not use my cell phone all day, I noticed many things. This part was difficult because I talk to my husband while I am coming to school and while I am on the way home. I live an hour from the college. Because I could not talk or play the radio, it made for a long hour. My sister, whom I had not told about this assignment, tried to call me several times while I was at school. When I got home and called her on a land line, she was worried that something had happened to me. I also noticed that while I am going to the store or to run an errand, I use that time to call other members of my family or to check on our business. Not being able to talk on my phone during that time was fairly difficult and felt like a very inefficient use of time.

The last thing I did without was our computer. This was somewhat difficult as I use it to check the news, the weather, and facebook. Many of my family members use Facebook quite a bit, and I use it to help keep up with them and what they have going on in their lives each day. It was very difficult not checking the news on the internet and we do not get a newspaper. I felt like I was probably missing out on something big as the newspapers are a day behind on the news. I did not realize it but apparently I check the news pretty often on the internet. It was uncomfortable not checking it and feeling "in the dark". My husband also spends some time on the internet, checking the news and Craigslist. If he saw something of interest, he could not show it to me. That was strange for both of us. I also use the internet to check my school assignments and functions. It was difficult to not be able to do either of those also, especially since I am so close to taking final exams and finishing last minute assignments.

All in all, this was a very unique experience. I am not sure we realize how much we use electronic devices. It is a huge adjustment to do without them for just one day, I can't imagine having to "live" without them. It made me feel left out and uninformed during this day.

As for my students, they will be somewhat like me. Unless you do without any electronic devices for a day, you have no idea what it is like. Using them in this day and time is almost built into our very nature. We do it and think nothing about it. Literally nothing.

cell phone

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you will soon have students even more committed to (or should I say addicted to) technology. Are you prepared to be their teacher? Can you teach without technology? How and what will you technology in your classroom? How will you use your student's technology for educational purposes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before this class I did not consider that I will have students who are committed or addicted to technology. I am committed and addicted to technology myself. One whole day without my cell phone or computer to keep me entertained was the most boring day of my life. I am definitely prepared to be their teacher. I hope I will not need to teach without technology. I have been considering how I will use technology in my classroom. I will definitely have a class blog. It is great for writing skills, creativity, curiosity, communication, and collaboration. I am looking forward to using Podcast, Skype, Timetoast, and Prezi in my classroom. I think the students will have great time learning about subjects like History using the green screen. I love how the EDM 310 lab assistants used the green screen for fun. I think my students will love using it for fun while learning. Technology is very adaptable to all subjects. I will be able to find activities that fit into the Alabama pacing schedule on the Web 2.0 website. My daughter is a first grader, and she loved the Web 2.0 website. She made Comix Strips that were about school.I will also use my Personal Learning Network to continue to find resources that are valuable in the classroom.
    I appreciate the valuable things that I have learned in this class. I know that I will be a better teacher because of this class.

    ReplyDelete