Thursday, March 8, 2012

Blog Post # 7

pln




The Networked Student

 “I am not a teacher, but an awakener.”
Robert Frost

I just have to say that the video,The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler, is very cute. Aside from the fact that it is cute and interesting, it has an important message for teachers in the 21st century. This video is basically an instruction manual or model for how teachers should be educating students today. The networked student video, exemplifies the importance of a personal learning network to every student's future. It also imparts the importance of a teacher as a learning facilitator and guide. This video describes an educational environment that is much like EDM310.

During this video, an important question is asked. Why does the networked student even need a teacher? The answer to this question was also given. According to the video, the teacher is still very much needed. At first, I thought maybe the video implied that students would no longer need a teacher. I was thinking that the video would suggest that the teacher has very little to offer, considering the amount of information that a student has access to through their personal learning network. This is not the case. The video did not suggest that at all. This video actually highlighted the necessity of a teacher in today's classroom. In the video, the teacher is the learning architect, modeler, learning concierge, network sherpa, synthesizer, and connected learning incubator. The teacher will show students how to build a personal learning network and how to take advantage of the opportunities available.

I really like many aspects of this approach. I think it should be blended in with other aspects of education. I love that it requires a more student centered, non traditional, classroom experience. This type of instruction allows the students to ask their own questions and come up with their own answers. I believe many teachers do not allow students to think in a divergent manner. Students would have a better connection with education if they were taught like The Networked Student Video suggests. They would also be much more prepared for their future, especially in regards to employment. This video does not discount the importance of teachers,however; it is implying that they should teach in a different way. From my own personal experience, I love this approach so much more than the traditional approach. I have found that I enjoy my EDM310 class much more than my other classes. This is exactly opposite of how I expected to feel. I hope to see this type of instruction blended in to education.

twitter button




Thank You Tweet to Wendy Drexler
I sent a thank you tweet to Wendy Drexler. This video gives a wonderful example of  the role of a 21st century teacher.




symbaloo


A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment
I have never seen anything like this Personal Learning Environment before taking EDM310. This particular student's PLE is very impressive. My personal Learning Network is not nearly as advanced or organized as hers. This students  PLE is a great example to learn from. It is very neat that her teacher, Mrs. Wendy Drexler, gave the students this assignment.


PLN report for Project # 10
I have started organizing my PLN. I did not know how beneficial a PLN can be, before this assignment. I am using Symbaloo, and it is a great way to organize all of my information in one place. The assignments in this class have given me quite a few educational resources to learn and get information from. Twitter has been useful for creating a PLN, as well. The teachers' blogs are wonderful places to get education instruction and information.

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    I really enjoyed reading what you had to say about "The Networked Student" video. I think a lot of people start off the video thinking that what it is trying to convey is that the student has so many commodities at their fingertips, that teachers aren't needed. In fact, what they are trying to say is that it is this abundance of technology and information that makes a technologically literate and active teacher's role even more necessary. Someone has to monitor this use of technology for them, answer questions they have, model how to organize, help them understand how to make sense of what they are finding, know good sources from bad, and guide them in positive use of the internet (i.e. the fact that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all carries over to the internet). I am glad that you like this approach and that you are enjoying EDM310! I see good things ahead for you as a teacher since you are so on board and have such good thoughts!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Carly had to say!

    Thorough, thoughtful, well done!

    Thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,
    I really enjoyed reading you blog. I agree with you when it comes to the PLN and how beneficial it will be when we become teachers. I am tinkering with Symbaloo myself and it is a great way to organize all the links that we are receiving in EDM for future reference.
    Good luck on all your future endeavors.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete