Monday, January 23, 2012

Post # 1

stephanie and bryant hogue

Post # 1
About Myself
Hi, my name is Stephanie Hogue. My husband Bryant and I have been married for fifteen years. We met at my first job Edd’s Drive Inn. Edd’s is an old fashioned restaurant in Pascagoula Mississippi. We have two awesome daughters Brooke and Emily. Brooke is nineteen and Emily is six. They both sometimes feel like they are only children because of their age difference. I think they are lucky because they have each other and they both had all of my attention when they were little. I live in Moss Point Mississippi. I have lived in Mississippi nearly my entire life. My husband and I own a small restaurant in Pascagoula Mississippi called Kevin’s Korner. Kevin’s was originally a tasty freeze, and it has been here since 1959. If you are ever in the area you should definitely come by because the food is great. When we are not working or doing school work, we just spend time together as a family. We usually take walks, go for a bike ride, play board games, or read together. It doesn’t really matter what we are doing as long as we are together.
My major is Elementary Education. I am a transfer student from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. I was originally taking the two plus two program that would transfer to the University of Southern Mississippi. It actually took me three years to complete the first half, and by that time I had decided to transfer here to the University of South Alabama. It was a tough decision, but I am definitely glad to be here at USA. I have wanted to be a teacher nearly my whole life. My best friend and I would play school, and I always wanted to be the teacher. EDM310 is a little intimidating to me because I know so little about technology. Even though I am intimidated by this class, I am looking forward to learning how to use technology in order to be an effective teacher that can make a difference in the lives of children.

Time Management lecture by Dr. Pausch
 Time Management Lecture
This video certainly has several aspects that pertain to me. I procrastinate mostly due to anxiety and fear of an assignment or project that I don’t understand. When a project seems too confusing or too large I tend to put it off until its absolute deadline. I don’t usually plan out my semester or week because I feel like once it is written it can’t be changed. It helped me to hear Dr. Pausch say that it is not concrete just because you wrote it down. It can still be changed, but the important thing is to have a plan.


randy pausch family
Dr. Pausch
I actually had never heard of Dr. Pausch. I looked his name up on google and learned that he was a wonderful man. He was very intelligent, motivated, and he made many great contributions. My heart goes out to his family for their loss.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Stephanie! I really enjoyed reading your blog about your life and how you ended up at South Alabama. I am also an Emilie, so I thought it was ironic that I was assigned to you, seeing that one of your daughters' name is Emily. You seem a lot like me in a sense that my family always comes first. When my family and I get together we do similar things like you. I use to love being out side and riding bikes with my family also. I would love to visit and try Kevin's Korner if I am ever in the area. I love food and trying new things so that would be great!
    When I was younger, probably in elementary school, I also use to play school with my best friend. I think it is great for children to interact with one another. I think it helps with their public speaking skills. I knew from a young age that I wanted to become a teacher. I wish you the best of luck in EDM310 because I am right a long with you with lacking the technology skills. I know we will both do great though. You seem like you will become a wonderful, intelligent, and motivating teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will watch Dr. Pausch's Last lecture later in the semester. It is a powerful and moving video.

    ReplyDelete