Sunday, February 19, 2012

Blog Post # 4

Preparation for Podcast Assignment
 microphone

After reading several teachers blogs, I am definitely convinced that using podcast in the classroom is very beneficial to the students. For the last three years, I have been concentrating on the academic part of my education. This is the first semester where I am actually learning some of the things that are important to be an effective teacher. This is also my first chance at being exposed to the use of technology in the classroom. So far, I am absolutely impressed with the ways that technology can be used to engage students in learning. Podcast makes learning much more interesting and meaningful for the students.


langwitches


Langwitches - Podcasting With 1st Grade
Silvia Tolisano's Langwitches Blog is impressive. She has so much information on her blog, in addition to the podcast instructions. I definitely subscribed to Silvia's blog and followed her on twitter, as well. The information that she provides is extremely valuable to current and pre-service teachers. One of the things that I noticed on Silvia's blog, is that she has made a chart for Blooms Taxonomy for iPad apps, and she is working on ways to assess assignments that use technology. I know that technology is a wonderful learning tool, but I have been wondering how practical it would be in today's standardized education system.

I absolutely love the students' podcast on Silvia's blog. You could tell how much fun they were having. They were probably having so much fun that they didn't even realize how much they were learning. The list of skills that they gain and improve from making podcast are long. They are able to work on their comprehension, reading, listening, and storytelling. This is also a neat way for them to practice inflection, pitch, and emotion. I am going to love practicing on podcast with my daughter,who is in the first grade.When we read together every night, I love to hear her inflection and emotion when she reads. Silvia's Langwithces blog was beneficial to me for learning about podcast and other technology in the classroom, as well.


Joe Dale - Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom
I really like how Joe Dale used a podcast to inform others of how beneficial podcast are to students, parents and teachers. I hadn't thought about using podcast for students who are absent. I am so excited that he passed on his great ideas. The more assignments that I have to do in EDM310, the more I understand the importance of blogging and other technology. He also shared his ideas of uploading a podcast to a class blog for students and parents. It would be great to be able to let parents see what their children are learning through a class blog with podcast. The podcast assignment that Joe did with his students made me think about the Michael Wesch Video. I certainly see it from a different point of view . To begin with,I was a little ambiguous about the video. I thought that the students should have paid more attention in class and turned off their facebook and cell phones. Now, I see how the students are much more engaged in learning through avenues more familiar and interesting to them. The light bulb finally came on, and I understand that we should strive to use more technology to make learning more interesting and meaningful.

Judy Scharf Podcast Collection
I found the information in Judy Scharf's Podcast Collection to be very useful. I didn't know that a podcast was like a cross between broadcast and iPod. Judy also noted that a podcast can be used for any subject, therefore; any teacher can use podcast as a learning tool. She had great instructions for how to use podcast in the classroom. I might not have thought about having examples for the students and topic ideas. Judy provides a long list of podcast ideas in many subjects. For example, global warming, PC verses MAC, tour of the digestion system, and an interview with Bella Swan from Twilight. A podcast can be about almost anything! Another part of Judy's information that I find to be useful, is the ruberic. It is good for students to have some kind of guide of what the teacher expects. Judy provided some very good information about how to use a podcast. I am glad these educators take the time to share their ideas and information.

child using computer

5 comments:

  1. "I know that technology is a wonderful learning tool, but I have been wondering how practical it would be in today's standardized education system. " Are you still wondering?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you have answered the question I asked before I clicked the Publish button too soon! "The light bulb finally came on, and I understand that we should strive to use more technology to make learning more interesting and meaningful. "

    Thorough, thoughtful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dr. Strange, I have really been enlightened through the assignments that I have been doing for EDM310. Being completely honest, I was a little nervous about having to spend 9 mandatory hours a week on one class. Sometimes it is challenging for me to balance family, school, and work. I also couldn't see how all of the assignments were going to benefit me as a teacher. I WAS SO WRONG! I love all of the new things that I am learning in EDM310. I finally figured out how important blogging is to educators and students, and how much technology contributes to student learning. I have been so impressed with the things that I have been reading and learning in this class, that I have been telling everybody that I know. I appreciate all of the time that you and the EDM310 staff put into gathering this information that is made available to our class.

      Delete
  3. I love the way that you add a personal touch to the summaries while being informative at the same time. I am late on my blog #4 but you have made me eager to watch these videos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphney, Thanks. I know it can be difficult to get everything done sometimes. I do take this class personal. I want to be the best teacher that I can, and I believe that this class contributes many skills that we need as educators. I also would like to see some of this technology in my daughter's school. My daughter is a first grader at a small private school. At this point, most of their computers don't even get on the internet. I am very disturbed by this, and I have been calling around trying to get someone to donate computers to her school. In the mean time, I am exposing her to some of the things that I am learning in this class. Good luck, I will probably see you around at school.

      Delete